The following is a news release from Southeast Community College:
Land Records & Genealogy Symposium set for mid-July in Beatrice
Genealogy research has gained popularity in the last decade or so, largely from the emergence of technology and TV shows such as NBC’s “Who Do You Think You Are?”
Southeast Community College and the Homestead National Monument of America once again are sponsoring the Land Records & Genealogy Symposium July 15 and 16 at SCC’s Beatrice Campus, 4771 W. Scott Road.
Attendees have the option of attending both days or one day. Cost is $99 per person for two days and $69 per person for one day. Lunch is included in the cost for both options. A dinner event will take place July 15, and there is a separate cost of $19 per person to attend. Dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m. at the Homestead National Monument of America. The evening will include dinner, entertainment and an opportunity to visit with symposium presenters.
Registration deadline is July 2 or when enrollment limit has been met. Persons interested are asked to contact email@example.com or SCC’s Continuing Education Facebook page at www.facebook.com/sccbeatricece.
Doors open at 7:45 a.m. each day. Speakers will begin the program at 8:30 a.m. Following is a brief overview of each session.
Genealogy: You Can Do This! – This fun, upbeat presentation by Sylvia Murray is designed to give researchers the right inspiration and motivation. Murray is an accredited genealogist who has taught genealogy classes at the college level for more than 25 years.
Introduction to Land Platting – Understanding the legal land system that our ancestors operated on can be a challenge to a genealogist when doing land record research. Carla Anders, the sole proprietor of Collecting Missing Ancestors, takes on this complex issue in an easy-to-understand presentation. She has more than 30 years of experience as a genealogist in the Midwest.
Breaking Through Using Land Records 1 – This introductory course will provide important information to genealogists looking for their ancestors in land records. Land records can often times seem overwhelming, but this course will equip you with the necessary skills that you will need to navigate these important records. Gail Blankenau is an experienced genealogist and photo historian who shares her research and advice in such well-known periodicals as the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Everton’s Genealogical Helper, and Family Chronicle magazine. She also will present an advanced course on how to interact with land records.
Social Networking: New Horizons for Genealogists – Thousands of genealogists and family historians have discovered new ways to expand and improve their genealogy endeavors using social networking, also called social media networking. Learn the basics of blogging, Twitter, Facebook, wikis and more in an easy-to-follow session that cuts through all the hype and the lingo. Thomas MacEntee is a genealogist specializing in the use of technology and social media to improve genealogical research and as a means of interacting with others in the family history community.
Finding Women Homesteaders – Homesteaders, in general, are a group of ancestors who are difficult to find, but women homesteaders offer unique challenges to researchers. Learn how to navigate these records and discover techniques that can be employed to enhance and streamline your research. Murray is the presenter.
Dating & Identifying Your 19th-Century Photographs – If you have a drawer or box full of old family photos, this session will bring your ancestral images into focus. Learn how to use power combinations of image type, fashions, photographers, and your family tree to reveal the “who,” “when” and sometimes even the “where” in those intriguing faces. Blankenau is the presenter.
Google for Genealogists – Most genealogists are only using 10 percent or less of the resources behind Google when it comes to genealogy research. MacEntee will discuss the other 90 percent and how these Google components can be leveraged for better search results. Google is more than just a search engine. It is a wealth of information, much of which goes unnoticed by the average genealogist.
Blogging: Share What You Know – Susan Petersen’s 30 years of research left her wanting to share this information with other people who might be looking for the same family members. She turned to the Internet to connect with those who would benefit from her research. Now she wants to show you how. This fun, straightforward introduction to blogging will show you how easy it is to share your research. Petersen is a genealogist, writer and journalist who manages several Web sites and blogs. Her LongLostRelatives.net blog began as a tool to connect with others researching the same family members.
For more information, contact:
Stu OsterthunAdministrative Director of Public Information and Marketing402firstname.lastname@example.org